Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Should Happens


"I'm not bossy - I just know what you should be doing"

While doing my homework on About pages, I came across a lot of should. And when I started paying attention I noticed that should is everywhere. It's not all bad but its prevalence did spark a memory; something a hip and wise lady named Jan once mentioned:
... ... um ...
er - well it was a while ago... but it was something about abstaining from should because few good feelings ever come of it.  OK I have paraphrased poorly and it's more than likely that Jan put it to me as a question. No matter the exact wording, the message kinda stuck:
With so many less bossy options (will, would, can, could, choose to, might, even shall for starters) - what is up with all the should?

image credit

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...