Friday, July 20, 2012

Qualiaed

Have you ever looked at a mobile from underneath?

Today's Dictionary.com Word introduced me to a noun that was deceptively simple in appearance:

qualia
(kwah-lee-uh)

Nice, right?
It looks promisingly succinct; compact yet elegant, and it sounds poetic to boot. It is the plural of
quale
(kwah-lee) 

and what is a quale

1. A quality, as bitterness, regarded as an independent object.
2. A sense-datum or feeling having a distinctive quality.

Right. Kind of.
Actually, no. I wasn't getting it. Such a lovely word and I was unable to use it with confidence in a sentence.
Turning to Wikipedia for clarification, I found Daniel Dennett's winning definition:
qualia ~ the ways things seem to us
Now isn't that a definition far more worthy of the word?

It reminded me of how some things can benefit from more qualia than just our own

image source

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...